Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A setting on the washing machine

There is nothing in my life that even begins to resemble what people think of as "normal".

Although really, what is normal?

What does society think of as normal?  And by society, I mean ours - in America.  And by America, I mean white, upper middle class.  In other words, those people we run around with.

If you were to ask people in rural America what their definition of "normal is - it might include: owning a horse.  Or growing/hunting their own food.

If you were to ask people in Alaska - it might even be different.  Heaven forbid if we ask people in another country - another religion - another economic status their definition of "normal".  It changes from group to group.

My normal?

I'm going to Dallas tomorrow.  I'm dog-sitting right now, but the dog is going to stay with friends whom also helped us dog sit in Hawaii.

Then I call a friend whom we do the airport shuffle together (we all live in the same neighborhood so we take each other to and from the airport on a regular basis when needed) about picking me up from the airport.

Sure, it's not a problem.  But, my brother-in-law and his family are leaving that day.  Do you mind if we take your car and leave it at the airport for you?

"That works great!".  Oh, wait, who is staying at your house while you are gone?   "No one, just the boys coming in and out to feed the cat".  "Oh, can my husband's parents stay the last two nights, then they will drive your car to the airport.".

They have house-sat before.  The in-laws that is.

I just laughed during our conversation.  I'm so thankful my world just flows.

The only normal thing anyone has in their life is the setting on the washing machine.  (That's assuming you have one of those).


No comments:

Post a Comment