Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Manic Monday

Somehow, I've been recruiting people for companies off and on for over 20 years. I'm not quite sure how this happened.

No one ever says when they are 10: "When I grow up, I want to be a recruiter".  In fact, most people don't even know what recruiting is.

People think "recruiters" help people get jobs. Yes. We do that. But really, it's the opposite - we help companies find the right people for their organization.

The difference?

Our paycheck.

Companies are the ones who pay the recruiters. Not the individuals whom are looking for a new position. In a way, we are like real estate agents. But in recruiting, there is no "buyers agent" - only a company agent".

Things I've heard before from candidates:


  • I need you to find me a job
  • I know someone whom needs a job
  • I'm in your database, why haven't you found me something?
  • No thanks, I'm not interested in that position. Why didn't they hire me for the other position.
  • Oh sorry (that is if they even call), I didn't go to that interview because I decided that job/company/title wasn't for me. (Yes, even after I told you I was interested)
It's a dance. 

Of course, I've had companies do the following:

  • Stop calling back after 3 rounds of interviews with great candidates.
  • Wait the six months AFTER our contract ends, and hire a candidate. Result being I don't get paid.
  • Start out with one job description, but really want something completely different.
This is a MANIC business.

About once or twice a month, I think "I'm done.". Then the next day, I'm out there on a scavenger hunting trying to find a perfect candidate for my client. 

Sometimes I find them. Sometimes I don't. Then I do find a great candidate and I call a couple of my clients to see if they have any open positions. 

Some days it works. 


No comments:

Post a Comment