Saturday, May 30, 2015

It's just dinner

My girlfriends dad is turning 75 years old in a few weeks.

He's throwing himself a birthday party.

In Las Vegas.

Of course, I invited myself.

There are 20 or so of us are going. We are staying at the Wynn. Everything but the airfare is party of the "birthday package".

I guess this is the next "destination celebration" of our lifetime. When we were all getting married, there was none of this "destination wedding". If you went to a place and got married, it was someone's families place.

This has all changed. Plus, this is a birthday party - even better than a wedding in my opinon.

I really stink and following along with multiple characters in a book - give me 5. When you give me 20, my brain quits following. I like to think I'm a simple girl. I also like to think "Do I really need to know SOOOOO much about so many people?"  (No is the answer to that question).  In other words, hang on, I'm about to introduce a bunch of new characters to this play I call my life.

SO - I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks.

I'm going without date. I am seeing Lily's uncle, whom lives in Vegas and is a good friend of mine. I'm flying in a night early with Carolyn so we can help get things ready for the "festivities". We are seeing him the night before everyone else arrives.

A few weeks ago, I ran into a former love. No, I didn't call/text/e-mail saying it was great to see him. He didn't either.  It was just nice to run into each other.

Well, this former love, has a mutual friend whom knows Carolyn's dad. Yes, the same one having the party in Vegas. Yes, this friend is also going to the birthday party in Vegas. It backs up to an industry trade show. (This is how the two men know each other).

Nothing really to lose at this point right?

"Hi! Attached is a birthday party invitation to a party I'm going to in Vegas in June.", "Your friend will be at the Friday night dinner too."

"If you are in Vegas at the same time, would you like to go to the dinner with me?"

I receive the reply (the same day):  "Do you mean June or July?"

"June", I reply.

I haven't heard another word. My friends think he's worried.

I think he's checking his schedule. He's trying to figure out if he will be there or not (otherwise)

After all, I didn't suggest we spend the rest of our lives together. I suggested dinner.

It's just a dinner.......


No comments:

Post a Comment