Thursday, May 28, 2015

Sharing

The "sharing economy" is a relatively new term. Probably not still a term in other communities, but in Denver and much of the West Coast, it's becoming quite popular.

This is when you 'SHARE' what you have. Your car. Your house. You let someone else "borrow" your stuff, for a price, while you aren't using it.

I've been doing it for years. Others have too.

Not everyone gets this concept, but it's okay, our tribe of "sharers" get it.

January of this year I started looking for my house swap to Hawaii. Knowing that it would be best if I went back to Hawaii. Back to my island. Back to a place all my own. Not staying with others, but my "own". Or well, by myself.

I found the perfect ad. A couple wanting to come to Colorado for the summer. A different island this time - Maui. That works for me. A new experience yet, an old experience all at the same time.

We chatted for a bit. It was a perfect situation really.

ONLY.

They needed to be about an hour North of where I live. Outside a little town as the husband is a visiting professor at Colorado State University.

The wife said to me, "I'm so sorry this isn't going to work, as this would be perfect". I replied, "Let me see what I can do.".

SO

Well, we all know how this story is going to end, but I'll tell it anyway.

I post the statement on my Facebook page:

"Hey, if anyone knows someone that lives within 20 minutes of Ft. Collins, CO and wants to swap houses and live in Maui for the summer, let me know".

There were some funny replies - I even volunteered to go to Maui, if the people in Ft. Collins wanted to live in my house in Denver.

A couple of weeks later, I receive a private message - from - now follow this - the HUSBAND, of the woman whom rented my basement from me while we were in KONA the second summer. He connects me to a couple. This couple is friends with a friend of the husband (we are at three generations of connections if you are keeping track).

I explain to them the situation. The couple - is a wife whom is a teacher. A husband whom works at home. They have two small children. I explain how it all works - the house swap, what you lock up, how you do all of this. I spoke to the wife on the phone. (The wife of the couple in Ft Collins).

Really, that was the end of that. But, well, we know me.

Two days ago - I had to follow up. Maybe it's the recruiter in me.  Or, the dreamer. Or the believer in chances. Maybe, it's just who I am.

SO, the e-mail starts.......

"Did anything ever come of this?"

The husband of the couple in Ft Collins replies, "I'm not sure how this came to be, but I guess I should thank you. We are spending 7 weeks in Maui. We leave June 12."

I replied, "SOOOO Happy this all worked out. BTW, that day is my birthday. Be warned though, this might become a habit."

Keep dreaming people. Keep sharing......





No comments:

Post a Comment