Monday, September 7, 2015

If you have to brag about it,

I've been trying new places. New restaurants. New "coffee shops". New places to meet.

We are all creatures of habit. It's easy that way.

You go to the same places. The wait staff knows you. You run into regular people you see and like. You know what to expect.

With that, come predictability.

Every once in a while, I pretend to try and mix things up.

Try a new place - on the opposite end of town. Do something out of the "ordinary" routine.

Only after doing this for about 3 weeks now. I had a realization.

This sucks.

The new places suck.

Maybe new places in my same neighborhood would be good, but I've been trying to go to "similar places" in a different neighborhood.

Dallas vs Houston

Aspen vs Vail

Honolulu vs Kona

The Tech Center vs Cherry Creek

What I've discovered about the "same places" in a different neighborhood is that it's the people are different.

Really they should be the same. Both are from the same socioeconomic status. They should be similar? Right?

To me, the cities on the left have "new money" the other "old money."

Not once, in a bazillion years has anyone I've ever met while out in Cherry Creek asked me what I do for a living. Yes, it comes up at some point. But you can have drinks, sometimes even dinner and all you have discussed is current events and what you like to do.

The tech center, it's usually the second question asked. "What do you do?"

WHAT DOES IT MATTER?

I swim. I paddle. I like to eat good food and I pretend to run. "Oh, you mean, How do I make a living?"

WHO CARES

I've tried going to different places.

Places you think you might mean some like minded people. People whom don't want to tell you about how much money they have in the bank or what kind of car they drive.

If you have to brag about it, you probably don't really have it......




No comments:

Post a Comment