Thursday, September 3, 2015

It's OUR fault

My oldest child has been a bit lax in this whole "looking at colleges" process.

School is hard for him, but he tries. He challenging classes and he gets extra help. He has good grades - just not EXTRAORDINARY grades. The ACT/SAT, he just did "okay".

We have all known this his entire educational career.

He had ALL summer to register for the ACT again in September. The deadline was August 8th.

Guess what - he registered on August 7th. The only reason he is taking it again is because we filed a petition to get extra time on the tests.

I asked him all summer to register so I could mail in the requests - with all the doctors/teachers letters - to get extra time.

Not only did he not do it until the last minute, he had his step-mother help him. (A request I had denied him, because "I'm old enough to make my own decisions.")

Now that the test is in a week. We receive a letter TODAY stating the request has been denied. And if he would like to appeal, please allow 3 -4 weeks.

I told you so would not have been a good thing to say in this argument.

I asked him to reflect about the situation. I asked him what he was going to do now.

The reply, "WE really messed up."

"No", I replied, "This one is all yours."

He tried to tell me how we are now behind in applying for colleges and he doesn't know what WE are going to do.

Somehow, it's suddenly a WE.....

No comments:

Post a Comment