Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Back to the Future Day

In 1985, a movie came out called Back to the Future. They went back 30 years, to 1955. In the sequel, they went forward 30 years.

Forward 30 years from 1985.

The day they went "forward to" was October 21, 2015. Today.

I remember seeing the first movie in the theater. I liked the movie then. I was 16 the summer it came out.

About 8 years ago, the kids and I were at Disneyland in Southern California. We rode the "Back to the Future ride". Our friends from Southern California were at the park with us. We all rode the ride together.

I remember talking about how old the kids would be on the "future date" - how they would all be driving. One would be done with high school. My two almost done with high school.

Around here, we've all seen all THREE movies hundreds of times. They really are good classic movies.

30 years ago seems like yesterday.

My oldest has had this day marked in his calendar for months. He had a reminder set on his phone. A reminder that "this was the day Doc, Marty and Jennifer" (characters from the movies) arrive.

Of course, everyone is talking about today being the day.

Somehow, I think he really thought for some reason - they (being the characters) were really somehow going to appear.

We talked about the fact that "Springfield" was the town. That the crew was PROBABLY NOT going to appear at Denver East High School.

But, the truth is, his "hope" has made me smile for a least a month.

Many times in life, we think we are all grown up. We quit believing in make believe.

Then there are moments, moments like this. Moments that are simple. Simply not real, but give us hope that make believe still lives in our minds and hearts.

Don't ever lose that. Anyone. Especially, you my boys.

See you in the future kid.

1 comment:

  1. Believe. V.-to have confidence in the truth, existence, or the reliability of something although, without absolute proof that one is right in doing so.

    ReplyDelete