Friday, October 30, 2015

Set your eyes on a goal

On Tuesday, I was invited to a luncheon.

Lunch with a bunch of people I would have not normally had lunch with. It was a "Women's Event".

Where did all these women come from? was all I could think. Society women. Women from family money. Women from a nice background. Women with husbands whom did really well or came from some good money.

No - I'm not being "stereotypical". I did not know ONE person there at another table. I've lived in Denver for close to 20 years. I should have known ONE person there.

This was not a business event.

This was a "luncheon" to raise money for underprivileged children to attend private schools k - 12. An opportunity for them to at least level the playing field. They organization does not give full scholarships. The family must meet in the middle.

The average income for the scholarship recipient's family is $35,000 - for a family of 4.

A scholarship recipient spoke. She spoke how her mom had the drive to do better and make her kids do better.

I could relate.

At one point in my life I would have qualified for that scholarship.

There are SO many opportunities out there in life. People don't know they are there.

A couple of years ago, I was carpooling to a wedding. One of the women in my car went on and on about how the girls don't know there are resources at their finger tips.

I corrected her - no one knows. My sons have NO idea how to make this college thing happen. It's something that is just "going to happen".

But, nothing is ever going to change if you don't have the "fire in your belly" to keep you going.

Missy Franklin (4 gold medal winner) spoke at the luncheon.

What I came away with from the lunch with Missy:
  • She could have cared less if she was the best. 
  • She loves/loved to swim
  • She made the point of telling us how much fun she always had
  • She told us about the opportunities that believing had taught her
Her parents couldn't afford her private school education. Her Aunt paid for it. She found her faith in high school (who the hell can say that?)

Her goal?

Can I do what I love and make things better for other people? 

I remember a girl I knew who loved to swim. She didn't know it came with swimming and the chance to shine.  And I miss a little girl whom should be swimming with you, next year Missy. 

Her dreams weren't that big. Mine weren't either.

We are here for you. No matter the goal.

We all need heroes. Hometown heroes will always be the best. 

Thanks for being our hero. 

See you in Rio. #Gomissygo #misssyfranklin




1 comment:

  1. Yes I agree we all need a hero. And we all want to be a hero...in our own journey. However, some refuse the call.

    ReplyDelete