Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The single best decision

We all make decisions on a day to day basis.

Every day. Every moment. Every second of our lives.

Even without realizing we make decisions. Turn left. Turn right. Send an e-mail. Don't send an e-mail. Return a phone call. Stop by for a visit. Don't return a call. Say "thank you" to a random stranger. Pay life forward. Or don't acknowledge anything at all.

Each of our actions, cause another action. Or reaction. Or causes a moment to stop.

I will take full blame/credit on deciding we needed to have a CCI puppy in our lives. Of course, I blame this on my good friend I met at the club whom had raised two.

She caught me in a moment of weakness.

For some reason, at that moment, this sounded like a good idea.

Let's train a puppy until it's a dog, then let it become a service dog.

You are hearing this from a woman whom has a cat. Whom gave her two dogs away when life became too much. I used to love dogs. Now I look at them - not longingly, more like "Oh, you are a lot of work"

This puppy though. This mission we are on. This has been the single most best decision I've made for my sons and I in a LONG time. (In fact, I would rate this up there with the decision to move to Hawaii for the summer).

I have the boys back that were trying to earn their wings. And they should, they should go on with their lives. They should test their boundaries. They should go on.

But before they go - they need to learn:


  • Make sure you let the dog out
  • Has the dog been fed?
  • Has the dog spent anytime training today?
  • Did he go to the bathroom?
  • Did you pick up the poop?
  • Can you imagine if you had a baby right now? This is SO much easier than a baby.
  • The dog provided you a look no woman will ever give you (other than the dog and your mom?) PS the dog is boy!
  • Are you willing to give something so much love and training and willing to receive NOTHING in return?
  • did you have a puppy in your childhood?
  • Were you loved?
If you can answer all these questions, then, well, you have learned. Lived. Flown.

You may go now.

They come home after school to see the puppy. The friends are all hanging at the house once again.They are still complaining they don't want to walk/pick up poop/etc again (i.e. meaning ever).


The single best decision we've made in a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment