Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Never a Finer Moment

We won the Super Bowl.

Wait, let me re-phrase: The Denver Broncos won the Super Bowl. Of course we did.

I knew we were getting our fairy tale ending. It was our turn.

Kind of a boring game. But some great moments. I guess that's really life. It can't all be "Hollywood moments" - you have to have "day to day life" mixed in there too. I guess that goes back to the movies I like to watch. Independent Films, with moments of Hollywood.

The Broncos players looked old. Our Defense? Looked like we had been written in a Hollywood script.

Of course, I'm a bit partial. The MVP for the Super Bowl went to Texas A&M. So did our coach.

For those non-football fans - we weren't expected to win. We were the underdog. We looked old. Our coaching staff looks old. Our players look old. We look like "The Independent Film that has all those actors you have know for years - cameo, after cameo appearance."

North Carolina looks young and shiny and agile. - All Hollywood and Botox.

To quote the latest saying: "Then the sheriff came to town."

We won.

The other team did not stand up and "take it". They were actually "sore losers".

The "Super Bowl Celebration" was on Tuesday. I had never been to a "Sports Championship Celebration".

There are concerts. There is a parade. There are speeches. They put the players on fire engines. Including the coaches, the support staff and "THE TROPHY" They parade through town.

I wrote the boys notes to miss school. The first and only time I've ever wished my children were about 12. They would have wanted to go with me.

I get to the "light rail" (our train system) at 9:30am to ride the train downtown. I nearly couldn't find a parking spot. The train was packed.

The woman next to me had never even been on the light rail. But, she knew she needed to go.

A friend of mine lives downtown. Right on the parade route. We will go watch from the balcony. Come with me.

NEVER have I been SO proud to be from Denver.

I know, I know. I've complained for several years about having to come back here. BUT, I've also always said, I do love this town.

And, today, being a part of it all. The fans. The city and public transportation. Of course, our perfect weather. (There wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was 50 degrees) (mind you, it's February (winter) in Denver).

It wasn't something words can even describe.

"They" (whomever "they" are) say there were a MILLION people attending (from 10 - 3).

A MILLION people. Young people. Old people.

Not one riot. Not one embarrassing moment for the city. For the state.

People were polite. It was crowded. People were nice.

I've never experienced a finer moment.

This is the moment you want, when you tell someone, "Go make me proud."

Well done Denver.





Maybe maturity isn't such a bad thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment