Thursday, June 19, 2014

Granite & Golf Clubs

My kitchen has granite counter tops. There are golf clubs in my garage.

I love the granite counters.  The golf clubs I haven't touched in years.  Both of the boys caddy at the country club not far from us.  One plays golf and really loves the caddy experience.  One, well, he caddys', because the job isn't too bad.

My oldest son has a friend whom is adopted.  They have been friends since third grade.  Or really, I've known her mom since our kids were in third grade.  I think they are friends by association.

The mom never married.  She adopted her child when the mom was in her 40's.  They are beautiful wonderful people.

She fell in love once.  And then it didn't work out.

She went on with her life.  The mom has lived all over the world.  Experiences beyond belief.

One of the first stories she ever told me about her life was about falling in love.  She knew, that she had experienced love and the way she thought love was supposed to feel.

When she went on with her life - well, she kept going.  She hiked mountains - she sailed seas.  She a great career.  She adopted a daughter.

People ask her, still, all the time.  You didn't marry?  "No", she replies. " I knew what real love felt like. I wanted that feeling again".

"I wasn't going to settle for less"

"There were many times I could have been the woman with the great house, the country club membership and the fancy cars."  "I wanted more than that".

She adopted her daughter.  The man came back into her life.

This was years later - long after they had their love.

Then, a short time later - he had a heart attack and died.  He was married with a son living in China.

She lost the love of her life and no one knew it.  Whom could she tell?  The wife actually called her to tell her he had died.  She knew.  They both knew.

"I may have had him, but YOU, always had him".  Said the wife to my friend.

I'm not sure whom I'd rather be.

You know?  Those on/off again relationships?  The ones people tell you to run from?

Sometimes you know.  Sometimes you know a moment is worth more than day in and day out.  Worth more than tomorrow.  That some moment's are worth more than granite and golf clubs.



No comments:

Post a Comment