Sunday, January 18, 2015

Bobby G

I lost another friend over the holidays. With this one this story is a little bit more complicated. As we were more acquaintances than friends, but he holds a special place.

A little about me - well, I've realized I'm really good at writing about people whom mean something to me. I'm even better when I'm writing about something/someone that/whom touched my heart.

But, this isn't about me.

It's about Bobby G.

About 10 years, I had a good male friend named Ernest. While Ernest is a pain in the arse, I've met a lot of good people through him. Ernest had some good friends whom live in Vail.

Vail is one of my most favorite places on earth. Yes, I can still stay that.

For reason or another, a girlfriend and I were headed to Vail for the weekend. We didn't know where we were staying. Ernest called one of his friends. His friend called another friend. The other friend said, "sure, there is extra room at our house. Your friend and her friend can come stay for the weekend."

I love people like this.

No, I don't know you. I don't know your friend, But, if you are friends with my friends, well, then it will all be okay.

It was a wonderful day. The skiing was awesome. Bobby G and a friend of his met my girlfriend and I at the bottom of the ski runs. Here are four people whom don't know each other spending a day together.

Turns out my friend Ernest grew up with Bobby's wife. This turned out to be the first of many ski days all together. All of us.

Bobby could be a bit ornery. Although I've noticed, I tend to like that personality type.

Very A type personality. #4 in to a company that made it quite big. I forget what his title was, but he lived between Vail and Connecticut - the company headquarters were in Miami. It took his assistant years to figure out he didn't live there.

He could be difficult. My guys friends thought he was "too driven". Couldn't let things ago. But for some reason, everyone knew, we got along just fine. The thing is, we were authentic.

We could go years without seeing each other and he always remembered who I was.

You see, one day when a group of us were skiing together, we went down a run that was too hard for me. I had NO BUSINESS being on that ski run. I told the guys to go ahead. I'd meet them at the lodge.

They all went. Truly, I was fine.

I ended up in snow powder up to my waist. Trees all around me. Not knowing which way was up from down. Not a lift in site.

Out of nowhere, some skier appeared next to me and got me back to the trail. When we hit the trail, Bobby G was standing there.

Turning around, my little snow angel was gone. Bobby and I took the lift to the top. We all skied the rest of the day on what was one of my most favorite "white out" days ever (Meaning you couldn't see past the person next to you).

Another angel watching me.
Save me a spot in the lift lines.
See ya on the backside of Vail.

Rest in Peace Bobby G.......



No comments:

Post a Comment