Sunday, January 25, 2015

Human Doings

Life is a funny thing.

There are times we are sooooo busy, we can't even see straight. There is SO much to do. Places we have to be, people we need to see.

Work is busy. Kids (if you have them) are busy. You are busy taking care of what your kids NEED to do. The house is dirty. There is laundry to be done. You are busy taking care of what other people need (family, friends, etc).

Then we come up with the idea we need to do "other" things. Other goals. Or maybe even "I need to clean out my office"

For months, maybe even now years, I've not been motivated to organize my house or my office. I simply don't want to.

I don't want to do a lot of things. We are then told this is depression.

In a way, I agree. Although, how I really agree is that we have been "trained" or "taught" if we aren't "doing" something, well, then something must be wrong.

What ever happened to laying on the couch to watch a movie in the middle of the day? No, I don't mean folding the laundry while on the couch. I simply mean "BEING". Enjoying the movie.

The boys and I watched a movie the other night. It was 6 pm.

I'm known for falling asleep during movies. This one I stayed awake for the whole movie.As usually, when I do lay down on the couch, I'm tired. I've been DOING things all day. This time, it was early enough. Plus the soundtrack was great. PLUS, it was a great movie with an incredible soundtrack.

(The movie was Rudderless - As Nolan would say at the end, "It was a good find".) An Indie film loaded with famous people. I don't think it's up for any awards, but it's worth a watch. Hey, if I stayed awake, it's worth a watch. :-)

What happened to being able to sit and enjoy something? You know, like have a conversation? Watch a movie? Go for a bike ride. Oops - there is the problem.

We thing we have to be "doing" something.

If I'm not "doing something", I feel guilty. First I feel like I'm missing something. Then I think I'm wasting time.

When I go to the beach, I read my book, I swim and I read again. Then sometimes, I just sit and watch the beauty of the ocean.

Sometimes, I lay on the couch and watch a movie.

Sometimes, I sit on my front porch and watch the sunset.

Sometimes, I go to a yoga class and stretch and breath and listen.

I'm a human being. Not a human doing.......


No comments:

Post a Comment