Sunday, June 18, 2017

Grammy

There is another story to write before this one, but this one, well, gets first place.

I had a friend I've been dating for awhile here for a week. He left last night. I stayed in. I was exhausted. Emotional. Among other feelings.

It was a great week we had together. Ohana and new places. I came home from the airport and went to bed.

Today, I kept trying to fit a million things into my day of "recovery". You know, the day that sucks, but you must go on and figure out how to make it through the day.

I went to Majics. I went to the pier. I walked. Then I walked some more. I was angry. Sad. I swam. I ran. I yelled. I got excited about the teenagers coming to the island.

THEN,

I went to Huggo's.

This little resturant on the beach. I met a new friend. She has been married for 17 years - she can't decide to leave her husband or not. She can't decide some other things too. She's finishing up law school. We talk about chances. We talk about missing the chances we don't take.

There was a group at the end of the bar. Turns out my new friend is in love with the singer.

Oh, that's why you needed to sit next to me. You have been married for a very long time, but the love of your life is sitting on stage.......

Gyspsy girl says to her new friend,

Let's go dance. Grammy - there. In the sweater and long pants is dying to dance.

Grammy tells us she is 84. I told her the story of my Granny coming to Kona with me. Of her being 84 and traveling all this way.

Grammy danced. Danced with me. My new friend. Our 88 old friend on the deck.

She danced.

It was all of 7:30 when I left (after all - the sun had set).

A truck, going the other way, hollered "Do you need a ride"

"No thank you, I'm almost there."

I keep walking.

A few minutes later.....

Grammy would have none of that.

They gave me a ride home.

I told her granddaughter, if Grammy is not an  "internet sensation" when I wake up in the morning, please let me know......



No comments:

Post a Comment