Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Shopping Carts

We hear all the time how the "kids today don't know how to play".  "They" - this time meaning the kids,  are too over-scheduled. Too many electronics.  Too many shows on television.

Of course, this is told to us by "the experts" - meaning "THEY" (they are THOSE people whom tell us what we should/shouldn't be doing)

There are so many "experts" out there.  Experts whom will tell you how to raise your kids.  How to live your life.  How to do everything, but well, they don't tell you how to be really and truly be you.

"THEY" can't tell you how to be you.  Only you know it.  You have to do what works for you.  In the style you want.  The way you want.  The way that works for you.

Friday early evening, my doorbell rings.  There is a high school boy standing there.  I've known this child since he was in first grade.

"Is Nolan home?" he says.  "No, he's over at a friends house - a friend from high school".

(Back story here - my sons went to the same school from 1 - 8th grade.  Then all the kids (all 50 of them per grade) scattered to different high schools.  Only we all still live in the same neighborhood  So, we now have friends from outside the neighborhood).

"Are you here to get your skateboard?  It's still in the garage", I say.  "Oh, yes, that would be great." "Um, also, would you mind if we put a shopping cart in the back yard behind the big tree?"

To tell you the truth, I was on the phone with a friend when he rang the doorbell.  I was only half listening, half talking.  Thinking he just wanted his skateboard.

"Huh?"  I reply.

"Nolan knows what it is all about.  Is it okay?"

"Sure, that's fine"

"In the side yard, it's okay behind the tree?"

"Yes" as I'm shaking my head.  "Sure.  Go ahead"

"Oh, thank you so much!!! Have Nolan call me."

"Do you want to get your skateboard out of the garage?"

"Oh, yes! Oh, okay!"  "Thank you"

That was the end of the conversation.  I then left. (The kids know how to get into the side yard).  I sent Nolan a text saying, "please call S".  "why?"  Something about a shopping cart in our backyard????

Apparently, there is a "shopping cart" war going on in the neighborhood with the kids from well, the neighborhood.  Only they are in high school now.  There is a grocery store not far from us.  About a month ago, this cart was either taken to the neighborhood or found in an alley.  (I'm not sure which story to believe, or maybe a combination of both of them).

Now that the "group" has a shopping cart, it seems, you take it from someone's yard, place it into the another yard until it is found by the "hunters".  (Not sure here whom is hunting or whom is gathering)  Basically, it's hide the shopping cart.

This weekend, I even notice a couple of shopping carts in the neighborhood.  One was from Target - the closest target from here is several miles.  Then one from Wal-Mart.  The closest Wal-Mart (I had to look it up is over 5 miles away).

By Monday (this being a holiday weekend), I had four shopping carts hiding behind the tree.  Seriously?

My older son came home and was seriously appalled at the "white trashness" hiding behind the tree no one can see.

I still am envisioning waking up to shopping carts all over my lawn.

I don't understand this game they are playing.

What I do know is that the teenagers aren't:


  • Out drinking
  • Out doing drugs
  • Out destroying property
  • Out stealing things (as these shopping carts were already in alley's)
  • Taking pictures of themselves
  • Telling all their friends about it on the Internet.
I was told one was pulled home from the alley with a rope tied to the bike.  No one was riding in the cart - or at least they didn't tell me that and I didn't want to give them the idea.

"They" meaning: these smelly over-grown kids whom are starting to look like adults, were having some good fun.  No one is in trouble around here. 

And if this isn't what "THEY" are supposed to be doing, please tell me what it is that would be better.






1 comment: