Sunday, November 16, 2014

Two spaces

I recently learned, you are only supposed to have one space at the end of a sentence, after the period. In fact, it "dates" you - as in, it makes you look old if you have two spaces after the period.

I learned this a few months ago. I keep trying to only "hit the space bar once" after the sentence ends, but it is hard! I was also told, it is no longer a "period", but a dot.

The reason was years ago it had to do with typesetting. Before we all had typewriters, everything was "set". The only way it looked good in print and to publish was to provide two spaces at the end of a sentence for formatting.

It looks funny to me, but old habits are hard to break. I don't know it any another way. Also, I just automatically do it. (I think I've had to backspace at least 10 times already in this one story).

It's like there is something missing when I just hit the space bar once!  The space bar needs more loving. I've been working on it. I'll keep working on it. Us old dogs, can learn new tricks.

BUT, the REAL reason I have to confess - I finally figured out the format to the book I need to write. AND, for that, I really should use modern formats. For a few years now, I've gone back and forth on what to write. How to write. The subject of the matter. I've figured it out.

Go to what you know best. That is what they tell us. (Whomever "THEY" might be). What do I know?

THEY say, tell someone you have a deadline.  Mine's October first.

I know how to swap a house. I also know to only put one space at the end of a sentence. Sometimes though, you need two places........


No comments:

Post a Comment