Wednesday, November 12, 2014

History in the making

Two weeks ago, I attended a focus group. This focus group was about banking for small business owners. At the beginning of the group, they have you go around the table and introduce yourself. Talk about your business, how long you've been doing this and what you like and dislike about banking.

Yes, I know, this sounds very exciting. Ha!

Banking - not so fascinating. The 7 other people at the table - very fascinating. All small business owners. All about the same age. (We did find out there had been another focus group of younger entrepreneurs at a different time).

My introduction started like this:  "Hi! My name is Leasa and I have a start-up addiction problem".

Everyone smiled. We were there for two hours discussing different ideas. Likes/Dislikes about how we pay our bills. How we receive our payments.

It was actually a very intellectual, though provoking discussion. It also paid really well.

Truthfully, I haven't really had the "start-up itch" in quite a while. I got burned by one. Nearly died of boredom at the last one. Needed a break.

"Went back to the boyfriend whom has always loved me" - recruiting. The true main stay in my career. Yes, he still bores me to death too, but he allows me my freedom. I know how to do it. And, I make money. Sometimes.

I've been recruiting. I've been writing - trying to get that pesky book actually done.

The "start-up itch" actually hasn't even been itching. Perusing Craigslist for start-up opportunities has even died off. I've been quite happy at home.

Well, then, we know what happens next. Something happens next anyway. An inquiry is sent to a company. An e-mail is followed up on.

BUT.

Not this time.

This start-up is actually going to be my favorite. Yes, I know, I say that about all of them. While I truly do love all of them. This one, I'm going to make my mark.

I'm not going to make any money. Not that I've made a ton of money on my other start-ups. (By the way, I am still waiting for my million dollar home run - that one will come, it's just not this one).

My sons attend East High School. A Denver Public School. They both play hockey. They have played club hockey for years.

This year, for the first time EVER in the history of Denver Public Schools, East High School has a hockey team.

Try-outs are tonight. 35 kids showed up. (The way sports work in Colorado schools - if they don't offer that sport at your school, you can play on another schools team).  Many of these kids have been playing "club" level or at private schools. They can put 30 kids on the team.

The dad whom has been instrumental in getting the team to DPS (Denver Public Schools) - his son is a senior. The son plays goalie. Only, the son is done. He doesn't want to play anymore. The dad was set to be the team manager.

I'm actually really proud of the dad for not making his son play. I'm also SUPER proud of the kid for saying "I'm done". That 's a huge lesson in life.

Which brings us to me. The other dad called me. Well, actually, he e-mailed the boys dad - whom said he couldn't do it, do I want to do this?

I will have two kids on the same team for the first time ever. There has never been a team manager. There has never been a "Booster Club".  There has never been an "East High School Hockey Team". In fact, there has never been a Denver high school hockey team.

Someone has to be in charge.

This start-up might not make me rich, but it will help me make history. In more ways than one.


1 comment: