Friday, November 21, 2014

The Banker and The Fisherman

I was at a business event on Thursday night. I don't attend these types of events on a regular basis - I used to. A friend of mine runs this event, so I went to help out.

Basically, it's a cocktail party - with corporate sponsors held at a bank (A very special bank - this one is called Young Americans Bank. It's geared for everyone under the age of 21. They have summer camps and educational programs through the schools. A program like no other in the US).

Side note:  As much as I love the bank, I have to smile when I think of some kid saying they went to summer camp at bank. :-)

You mingle with business owners, sales people, other community service organizations. A wide variety of people. These can be boring, but it's also a good time to meet new people. There was also a silent auction going on. Great gifts.

I was talking to one of the guys at the event. Talking about business. Talking about business. Of course we get to the point in the conversation when they ask where my office is. I reply, I work from home. Many people work from home these days.

With technology what is, it makes sense.

Then, of course, we get to my families summers in Hawaii. It's funny, the first people usually comment on is the time difference. I then explain, it's worth it to get up at 4 in the morning to work. My work day is over by 11am.  Ah, then they see the light. We talk a bit more about work schedules, etc.

I happen to make the comment, "I may have to work longer in years, but I will have enjoyed my years more".

This man, I'll call Bob, smiles and says to me, "Do you know about the fisherman and the banker?"

"No, please tell"

This banker was on vacation and paid a commercial fisherman to take him out deep sea fishing for the day. They spend about 6 hours on the boat. Come home with fish. The banker pays him and they go to part ways. The banker says to the fisherman, "Wow. What a great day." "You know, we could really turn this into a great operation.  We could hire some people, buy a couple more boats, re-do the marina." "Work really hard and you could retire in ten years."
The fisherman smiled at the banker and replied, "Yes, and what would I do when I retire?"  The banker says, "Oh, I guess you would be doing this......."

Some of us understand that sooner than others.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment