Monday, October 27, 2014

Predicting the future

Psychics. Fortune tellers.

What comes to mind when you hear these words?

Fake? Day dream believers? Seller of hopes? Not real.

It's funny. When I hear these words. MOST OF THE TIME.  I think: "misunderstood".

We all receive those "thoughts" or "foreshadowing" or "pings" in our lives. Little things that go unnoticed. Until much later. Then we look back and think "Oh, yeah, I've been thinking about those things for years."

Do I believe I can tell you those "little things" about your life? No.  Not a chance. Can someone else tell you those things about your life? Maybe. Can you look back at your life and "SEE" what was coming. ABSOLUTELY.

Without a doubt.

We just don't listen. The world tells us things all the time.  We hear them. The first time. The hundredth time.

My favorite future prediction story has to do with my youngest son:

I always knew I was going to have a Nolan.

This from the woman whom wasn't sure she was going to have kids. I knew I was going to have a Nolan though.

My mom had baby-sat for a family when she was growing up. The ages all begin to blend at some point in life. As my mom is only 19 years younger than her mom. The other parents were only a few years younger than my grand-parents. We all grew up together.

The third child of the family my mom baby sat, well, I think he's only 5 or 6 years older than me. I'm not sure.

What I do know: we were at their house in Tulsa, OK. I couldn't have been more than 5. AT THE OLDEST.

But, I remember the conversation very clearly:

We were discussing our friends (my mom and I).  We were talking about names. Going through everyone's names. (No, I don't know why).  And we get to the third child.  His name is Brian Nolan B.

I remember rolling over on to my stomach. I remember saying "what did you say his middle name was?"  "Nolan".  Very distinctly I remember replying "Nolan" "That's a different kind of name".

She explained to me he was named after a business partner of his dad's. I couldn't have been more than five.

I'm not sure when I began to remember the story. I married a guy with a Scottish/Irish background. We wanted their names to "go with" their last name".

When I was pregnant with my second son - we didn't know if he was going to be a boy or girl. This drove the world crazy. "How can you not know??" My reply, "I have the rest of my life to know."

There are so few "good surprises" in life. You know, the surprises that take your breath away. That let you breathe the way life told you all along you were going to breathe this way.

About the time my labor started, the priest from the church called and asked if we he was here yet.  .

I remember telling him, "I know you aren't going to believe this, but my contractions started about an hour ago. Although we still aren't sure if he is a boy or a girl.".

Nolan's dad didn't even know at this point.  The priest asked if he could call the hospital tomorrow to check on us.  Of course, I replied.

We are in the Labor and Delivery room at Rose Hospital in Denver, CO. It's the final moments. My doctor - whom was about my age - looked around the room. She said "SO, is it a boy or a girl?"

Nurse:  Girl.  Dad: I have no idea.  Me:  He's a boy. His name is Nolan.

He was born a few minutes later. I forgot to ask if he was a boy or a girl.

I guess they aren't really surprises. Just listen people. Just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment