Sunday, July 19, 2015

No Camping

On the Northeast side of The Big Island Hawaii - there is a place called Waipio (pronounced Y P O) Valley.

According to local legend, years ago (and I don't know if this means 50 or 100 or more - but it's been a while), this was a town. There is still a town there up on top of the hill. The Valley no longer exists. It does, but it's off the grid.

As in no cell service. As in no electricity. There are solar panels on houses that are still there.

According to the legend, this town was wiped out when an Tsunami hit. They had no notice.

No one knew what hit them.

Poof. The town was gone.

To get there now, you must take a 4 wheel drive vehicle up and down a 25% grade for about 2 miles to get to the bottom/top.

There is a certain section off the beach considered "sacred burial ground". It's beautiful. The leaves and plants grow in abundance. The other half is beach. Trails. Waterfalls.

A majestic piece of paradise. Of the world.

There are signs all over saying "No Camping"  (Although on a hike this morning, there were signs saying you could camp, but must register - not at the same area, but on the trail). Confused me, but carried on.

My local gypsy friend had told me he had done this once before.

I couldn't believe what he said. "What? You camped in Waipio Valley?"

"Yes", he replied.

"Okay, we are going to have to do that. It's on my bucket list".

I don't think I even know what else is on my bucket list. I do know, for at least 3 years, I've wanted to camp under the "No Camping sign".

He owns a Jeep.

We took the top on the way over.

We brought food in. We made a campfire at sunset. We slept in the Jeep. Took two hikes this morning.

We were back to this side of the island this island this afternoon.

Oh, yes, there was a sunrise. It was spectacular.

We weren't the only ones there.

I'm not sure I really slept. It was drizzling rain and I've never slept in a car.

Maybe I did fall asleep. But if you don't sleep, you aren't really camping? Right?




No comments:

Post a Comment