Thursday, July 2, 2015

The way it works out

The Gypsy Girl personality who lives in my body was well behaved for quite a while.

She let the leaders lead.

THEN,

She came out and was a bit reckless in Vegas. I think it's because the hockey mom and career woman were in charge for way to long. Squelshing the Gypysy Girl.  We have to remember to let her out every once in a while.

SO,

Six days back from a trip to Vegas. One week before leaving for July - Gypsy Girl announces loudly - "I'm coming out"........

And, she did.

3 Round-trip last minute tickets to California for the weekend. I texted the boys. One was caddying. The other at his dads.

"Pack your bags, we leave for Orange County at 3:30".

My excuse: My friend in Cali, his daughter was graduating high school. But the ceremony was over. We were just going for the parties.

The real reason:  This transition into the next stage of life, is actually harder than I thought it would be. We need this family time. Me and my boys. My boys needed to see their uncle. I needed to see his mom.

I'm not sure which personality needed this, but I was thinking all of them did. All of mine. All of my sons. All of the people we were with. We needed to all be together.

It was a great weekend.

Fun stories of the boys. Fun stories from "Mum".

For whatever weird reason, the boys and I were invited to the daughters mom's house for a graduation party - only her dad and his parents were not.

The boys and I went.


Okay - I give up. I've re-written this story four times now. I keep trying to put in the back story. But it's not flowing.

Here's the point: At the end of the weekend. The weekend of chaos, friendship and love it all came down to this.

Mum kept saying "I can't believe it never worked out between the two of you". (Me and my friend in Cali) Even Duncan on Sunday night proclaims, "she's not going to let this go, is she?" I did reply, "it's been almost 30 years, so, no, she's not."

Looking out at the pool, sitting next to each other: With his wife in the water with her daugthers, my sons dancing on the "concrete bar", music playing, we look at each other and say,

"It did work out"

This is how it worked out.



PS - Gypsy girl will be out soon - and she knows how to write..... :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment