Saturday, July 11, 2015

Paddle

What started out a couple of years ago as "something new to try", has become a full blown addiction.

The recreational paddle club in Keauhou area of Kona, paddles every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning. There is a group that goes out at 6:30am and another group at 8am.

I go with the 6:30am group. (It's warmer at the 8am group).

There is also a recreational group, really it's the same group of people, whom go out on Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 6:30am. This group goes a little further and a little faster.

Two summers ago, I went every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Bringing along at least one teenager - sometimes up to four teenagers.

Now I go everyday. (except Sunday)

For the upcoming week, I forgot to block out my calendar for Monday and Wednesday - and I was scheduled calls. UGH!

When we went out Wednesday, there were three canoes. 6 people per canoe. I'm the youngest person there in the M,W,F group. It was the hardest work out I've ever done. My lateral muscles tremored all day long.

Everyone was asking the next day if we were exhausted. I was higher than a kite - I haven't had an adrenal rush like that in years. We had paddle for 30 minutes straight (meaning no breaks), stopped and swam for about 10 minutes, the paddle back in for 30 minutes. It was absolutely incredible.

On Thursday, when we went out, this group now seems easy. I'm thinking in a few weeks, I should be really toned. There were dolphins all around us.

I jumped into the water. It was incredible. Then immediately realizing, I'm not at Disneyland - or Sea World - I'm in the freaking ocean. These things are NOT domesticated, I should probably get out the water.

We still watched them play.

On Friday, we paddle to a place called "Parrots Cove" - as we come in, about 50 parrots flew out over us. There was a momma goat and three kids on the side of the cliff. The momma couldn't get them back up. They were crying.

Eventually we left, assuming the momma eventually got her babies up the side of the rocks.

When I paddled in Oahu, it just wasn't the same. It was in the city.

Here, it's a completely different experience. Everyday, I don't want it to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment