Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A different kinda place

The island of Oahu is much different than the Big Island.  (Really, the 'Big Island' is Hawaii, but everyone seems to think of Hawaii as all the islands rather than just one)  All of them would be "The Hawaiian Islands".

Oahu is an island.  Honolulu is a city on the island.  The population of the island is almost a million people. Only every branch of the military has a base here and I'm not sure if our service men/women are counted in that population.  As many of them don't claim their base as their residency, but "where they are stationed".

This place seems much bigger than the Big Island - but it has nothing to do with the size of the island, but the amount of people.  (as I think the Big Island has less than 100,000 people on a space twice as big).

Really, this place is like Los Angeles, only water surrounds all sides, not just one.  There are mountains. There is vast foliage and tons of highways. Okay, really, it's the same one, but it's very confusing and busy.  (To me, it's like LA)

So I'm talking to this man today while I was in Waikiki - and I said, "If this is your favorite island", you might as well live in LA - as it is easier to get places"  He told me about the different hikes I should go on.  He told why he has a house here and in LA. And I will, and I keep exploring other places.

The "Aloha Spirit" is different here too.  Not as many people speak Hawaiian to you.

I went to Canoe Club tonight.  First of all - I had to drive an hour to get to a recreational paddling group.  (In Waikiki) and they were really nice.  A diverse group, much younger than my other group.  Thursday night group (as it's the first Thursday of the month) - is the same, there is a group "dinner", instead of breakfast.  They are getting pizza, instead of potluck.

I really am not trying to compare the differences, just point them out.

And, I'm still not sure the man I was talking to today wasn't Jack Nicholson.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  In Kona, it wouldn't have come up whom he was.  It didn't come up today either.  Other than the bartender said, "Hey, Jack".  But our conversation about this place, we never introduced ourselves.......  Now that's a bit different.......


No comments:

Post a Comment