Sunday, July 27, 2014

Like I was dying

No, this trip to Hawaii wasn’t planned.  At least not well in advanced.  It was planned for about two whole weeks.  No one knew.

My boys were going to Texas.  My ex-husbands Aunt (whom I somehow got in the divorce) has breast cancer and is having an operation on Wednesday, but she had a whole group to help her. That being said, no kids, I work from home, no need to help family out at the moment……hmmm, what the hell am I going to do????

I’m going to go see a little boy in Hawaii

Only the little boy is 26. I babysat him many, many years ago.  The boys were put in a car to Texas.  Yes, they knew.  Then I told the grandparents they were in the car with.  They my dad’s wife told her sister, and well, we know how his works……

Maybe we need to hop over to the Big Island for a couple of days…….Maybe.

He has tons of stuff planned; he’s on leave for a week.  I’m staying two.

Friday morning, I get on my flight.  United.  Direct flight from Denver to Honolulu.  I’m not sure whom is more excited – him or me.

We sit on the runway for over an hour before they even tell us anything.  Apparently, there was something wrong with the cargo area – they couldn’t get the temperature under control.  There was a dog down there.  We went back to the gate.  They fixed it.  (The little boy I’m going to see told me to just put the dog on another plane – Actually, he told me to shoot the dog, but I wasn’t sure if I could actually write that).

We pushed out from the gate again.  They ran all the tests again.  We sat on the runway for another hour.  

We finally took off. 

Only, when you looked at the flight map on the TV, we were headed North to Wyoming.  Hmmm….. 

Usually, when you depart Denver, you head West.  Then South.  Towards the Ocean. 

Something wasn’t right.

The airplane was hot.  It wouldn’t cool off.  We heard a bang.  Then we smelled smoke.

THEN, our flight screen showed our flight time was only 20 minutes.  We were landing in Salt Lake City.
They then shut the tv’s down.  They shut the lights off.

We were over the mountains.  It was bumpy. As in big drops.  It took us over 45 minutes to get to Salt Lake City – and this was from the time they told us we were 15 minutes out of Salt Lake City.

We landed.

The plane was greeted by two fire trucks and another emergency vehicle.  The only saving point was they let us go to the gate.  I figured if it was really bad, they wouldn’t have let us pull up to the gate.  Dammit though, we didn’t get to slide down the slide!

Heck, I’m not in Hawaii, but I have incredible friends in Salt Lake City.

Richie came to pick me up.  We stopped and bought me a tooth brush – as, they didn’t give us our luggage.

Delayed a day.  Changed forever.

There are no more maybes in my life.  I’m either in or out.  Although, I’ve probably been pretty close to this way of life for a bit.

Not a good month for 777’s.

Because, when your plane catches on fire at 25,000 feet, and you actually get to land – and you survive…
THEN, you thrive.  (I first put in “get to thrive”, but there is no “get to” in life.  It’s just do”   I said this was my year to thrive.)


If you thought I lived my life with reckless abandonment before, you haven’t seen nothing…….  Just saying…….

No comments:

Post a Comment