Thursday, July 3, 2014

Thanks for dinner

Yesterday was my youngest son's birthday.

We had a great day.

We spent the morning at the DMV.  Then we went to Kona Grill for lunch.  I guess, if we can't be in Kona, well, then this is pretty close.

We had our Poke.  We had our fish tacos.  Their blender was broken, so he didn't get his Virgin Pina Colada.

Thinking about our summers in Kona.  A waitress delivered me a drink.  I hadn't ordered a drink, so when I refused, she said, well, I think it's from the woman over there?  No, I think that is her margarita.  And, in fact, it was.

Last year it was blind date, this year, it was just a wrong delivery of drinks!

We came home.  He went to be with his friends.

I finally text him around 5.  Dinner?

"Going to Paxti's"  (A pizza place around the corner where he and his friends go quite often).

At the last minute, I drive up there and pick up the check "for the boys on the patio".  They were just about to pay.  The waitress told them, "Some random stranger picked up your check, they said you had to leave the tip and pay it forward".

She said, they were all like "no way!"  "what!"  "Are you serious?".

I snuck out of the restaurtant, but I think I was spotted.  Not by him, but his friends.

I left the hostess my phone number, in case they didn't leave a tip.  I said I would come back and leave a tip.  She said, " those boys have been coming here since we opened two years ago, they always leave a tip."

I was dying to hear what they were saying.  I was hoping they hadn't seen me.  But I figured someone had given me away.

A couple of hours later, I sent a text asking where they were.

"We are at the school.  BTW, thanks for dinner". ;-)

I replied "Come get these cupcakes"  "BTW, I have no idea what you are talking about.  ;-) "

Just pay it forward......




1 comment: