Saturday, July 12, 2014

Lead with your heart

I have two nephews.  They are twins - only they look nothing a like - in fact, they even have their own birthdays.  (One was born before midnight, the other after)

My sister and I were not close as children.  Not really even close as adults.  But now, we are bit closer than we used to be - as I think we realize we might be the only sane ones we are related too, and that is probably even stretching it a bit.  (Us being the sane ones, that is)

Truth be told, I'm not that close to my nephews either.  But they are good kids and my sons have a GREAT relationship with their cousins.  I guess the fact that they are all boys.  All have Irish/Scottish names and ALL of the same grand-parents would make them, by default close.  In fact, genetically they are really half brothers - as my sister and I married brothers.   I know, I know, it sounds strange at first, but the moment you say "sisters married brothers" well, someone will say, "my Aunts did that too"

I digress.

My nephews just graduated from high school.  Two different high schools - as they have two very different personalities.

But like most people, we all have different things in common.

One of my nephews called me yesterday.  I can count on one hand how many times I have spoken on the phone to my nephews.

He was trying to figure out when my sons were going to be in Texas this summer - as all the cousins are trying to get there at the same time.  He said no one could tell him the dates, but he figured I would know (at least he knows that about me!)

As a graduation present, the twins went Skydiving.

I was really excited to ask about this, as it is on the list of things to do in my life.

Me:  "How was skydiving?"

Him:  "It was awesome."  (the answer I was expecting)

Him:  "Your stomach doesn't even drop"

Me:  "Really?"

Him:  "Yeah, it's not like a roller coaster.  Where your feet end up in front of you.  Or you just drop"

Me:  "What about when you jump out of the plane?"

Him:  "No, not at all, as you don't really jump, you lean forward and follow your heart."

Ahh, said Aunt Leasa.  When you lead with your heart, it's always okay..........


No comments:

Post a Comment