Thursday, July 31, 2014

Fendi or Flip Flops?

Designer  brands are not really my thing.  They might have been when I was in about 7th grade – and a couple of times in between, but never this “over needing urge” to own “Fendi shoes” or a “Gucci handbag”.

Yes, I like nice things.  Quality things.  Things that will last.  Those things don’t always have a “brand name” on them.

I’m not a shopper.  While in Oahu this week, everyone keeps telling me of the “great shopping”.  “I don’t like to shop”, I reply.  They look at me like I have two heads.  “I know, I know”.  I’d rather be DOING something.  In fact, ANYTHING, but shopping.

Once upon a time, I did shop.  Shopping with my Granny – we would spend all day.  We would go to lunch. We would have our make-up done.  We couldn't go home until the trunk was full.

Those days were fun. 

But even then, it wasn't to buy the “best name brand” – it was to buy something I would wear, something in style and made well. 

To me, that means, a couple of trendy items, a couple of staples (well made “core” items”) and made a name brand purse or pair of shoes. Well, maybe not name brand shoes.  Maybe a name brand blouse and comfortable shoes.

I would have worn stylish shoes back in the day.  I still wear fun boots in the winters in Denver – some days.  But mainly, I love my non-name brand flip flops. 

My favorite flip flops were from my first summer in Kona.  They were made of recycled tires – they were supposed to never wear out.  They didn't – the strap broke though.

Then I received two pairs of flip flops last summer.  They were “custom” flip flops – there were words cut out of the bottom.  So, when you walked across the beach, you left a trail.  One pair stamped “Follow” on one shoe “Me” on the other shoe.  The other pair?  “Aloha” (Hello or welcome or love) and “A Hui Ho”  (until next time)

Today, I was on the North Shore of Oahu watching the turtles swim.  They were HUGE.  As in, the two I was near, were the size of as your cooking range.  The head was probably the size of a football.  (Mind you this was in the open ocean – not a theme park or a “planned excursion”)

After swimming with the turtles for bit, I went back up to my chair to sit under the tree.  A bit later, it was time to leave.

Where are my shoes?  (This really isn't surprising that I can’t find my shoes, probably also the reason I think $700 shoes are ridiculous and so are the people whom wear them).

I was down to the beach to see if I left them near the turtles. 


And as the turtle today swam away with just ONE of my flips flops; I knew it was going to be okay.  

As, the bottom of that flip flop had printed on it “Aloha”, leaving me the one that was stamped “A hui ho”  (until next time).

No comments:

Post a Comment